- - Culinary
- Hollywood , FL, USA
- Full Time
Department: Food & Beverage
Accountable To: Director, Food & Beverage Food and Beverage Manager
Primary Objective of Position
Direct food preparation, production and control for all food outlets and banquet facilities at hotel.
- Responsible for enhancing the food product that is presented to guests. Make changes that respond to the marketplace and to guests' needs, both present and anticipated. Recommend changes to the food product. Use market research to develop new products.
- Responsible for maintaining quality of food product and ensuring consistency in food delivery standards.
- Provide support of a specialist nature to the Executive Committee, particularly to the Director, Food & Beverage, and the Food & Beverage Manager. Work in support of team goals and measures effectiveness through the Food & Beverage profit and service performance of the hotel.
- Responsible for the selection, training and development of the personnel within the department. Is able to exercise (in conjunction with HR) hire and fire discretion within Trust's policies. Oversee divisional matters as they relate to federal, state, and local employment and civil rights laws.
- Control the elements that determine profit and loss. Responsible for all major operating expenses. Set margins and manage the business against projections. Make decisions that relate to profit and loss. Responsible for the financial management of the operation.
- Give direction and be responsible for the implementation of plans. Monitor effectiveness and introduce changes in response to the marketplace. Set targets, plan and schedule work and performance indicators that are typically productivity and efficiency measures.
- Is responsible for the administration of all applicable Trust Standard Operating Procedures
Regular attendance in conformance with the standards, which may be established from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. Associates with irregular attendance will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality industry, associates may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the hotel. In addition, attendance at all scheduled training sessions and meeting is required.
Upon employment, all associates are required to fully comply with Trust rules and regulations for the safe and effective operation of the hotel facilities. Associates who violate hotel rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
- Consult with the Director, Catering/Convention Services and Outlet Manager on a weekly basis as well as with other departments as necessary.
- Participate in long range planning.
- Participate, support and make recommendations for ongoing hotel programs with continuous improvement in networking.
- Participate in the Manager on Duty program
- Ensure food and beverage quality standards are complied with and that all health and quality procedures are consistently applied.
- Coordinate activities with other hotel departments in order to facilitate increased levels of communication and guest satisfaction.
- Ensure the timely completion of performance appraisals.
- Support food handlers' training
- Take every opportunity to amaze the guests following Trust Customer Standards
- Ensures all guests are being treated in an efficient and courteous manner and that all Trust standards are being applied
- Be an enthusiastic, helpful and positive member of the team
- Be professional, responsible and mature in conduct and behavior
- Be understanding of, encouraging to and friendly with all co-workers
- Be self motivated and use time wisely
- Maintain open line of communications with each department
- Communicate pertinent information
- Respond positively to new ideas
- Openly accept critical/developmental feedback
- Report to work on time,
- Be available to work a flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays
- Maintain effective communication through the use of meetings, memorandums
- Be available to help other departments in emergency situations
- Perform other assignments as directed by your Supervisor.
- Adhere to all work rules, procedures and policies established by the company including, but not limited too those contained in the associate handbook.
Safety and Security:
- Be knowledgeable of policies regarding emergency procedures and security concerns
- Be knowledgeable about state regulations regarding health policies
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Most tasks are performed in a team environment with the associate acting as a team leader. There is minimal direct supervision
- Must possess basic computational ability.
- Must possess basic computer skills.
- Knowledge of computer accounting programs, math skills as well as budgetary analysis capabilities required.
- Extensive knowledge of menu development, insight into marketing, cost and wage control.
- Thorough knowledge of food products, standard recipes and proper preparation.
- Ability to analyze, forecast data, and make judgments to ensure proper payroll and production control.
- Ability to supervise a large staff and accomplish goals on a timely basis.
- Ability to conduct meetings, menu briefings and maintain communication lined between line staff and Director, Food & Beverage.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, come of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to diffuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to create recipes and support material, i.e., recipe cards, descriptions, and pictures, and to read and visualize same.
- Artistic ability to create theme menus, ideas for ice carvings, decorations, etc.
- Extensive knowledge of the hotel, its services and facilities.
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labor relations, including, but not limited to the following statutes and their comparable state and local laws (where applicable): Title VII, Equal Pay Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act, FLSA, ADA, OSHA, FMLA, NLRA
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature is moderate and controlled by hotel environmental systems; however, must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers (-10 degrees F) and kitchens (+110 degrees F), possibly for one hour or more.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 5 hours per day. Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
- Ability to physically handle knives, pots, mirrors, or other display items as well as grasp, lift and carry same from shelves and other wise transport up to 50 lbs to every area of the kitchen. Ability to perform cutting skills on work surfaces, topped with cutting boards, 3 to 4 feet in height (banquet kitchen, prep kitchen, bake shop, etc.). Proper usage and handling of various kitchen machinery to include slicers, buffalo chopper, grinders, mixers and other kitchen related equipment.
- Ability to physically self-demonstrate culinary techniques, i.e. cutting, cooking principles, plate presentation, safety and sanitation practices.
- Ability to create, build, handle and dismantle displays, up to 8 feet high, including ice carvings.
- The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shut in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Ability to distinguish product quality, taste, texture and presentations and observe preparation.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability to maneuver between functions occurring simultaneously.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in a limited space and to reach other departments of the hotel on a timely basis.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs on a regular and continuing basis.
- May be required to lift trays of food or food items weighing p to 30 lbs. occasionally.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs. on occasion.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat and stretch to fulfill occasional cleaning/inspection tasks.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Hearing, smelling, tasting and visual ability to observe and distinguish product quality and detect signs of emergency situations.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and subordinates
- Vision occurs continuously with the most common visual functions being those of near vision and depth perception.
- Requires manual dexterity to use and operate all necessary equipment.
- Must have finger dexterity to be able to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, 10-key adding machine, electric typewriter, multi-line touch tone phone, filing cabinets, FAX machines, photocopiers, dolly and other office equipment as needed.
High school or equivalent education required. Minimum of two years of culinary schooling preferred. Must have five years of prior experience as an Executive Chef with knowledge of most international and domestic dishes.
Licenses or Certificates
Ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits. Certification as Executive Chef or Certified Master Chef by a government accredited culinary agency. CPR certification and/or First Aid training preferred.
All associates must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance per Trust Standards
This job description is not an exclusive or exhaustive list of all job functions that an associated in this position may be asked to perform from time to time.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts